Riftland: Steadfast
Welcome to the Riftland Forums!
For the Server IP or to play on Riftland, please register on the forums.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Riftland Forums!
For the Server IP or to play on Riftland, please register on the forums.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Riftland Trailer
really long
really long
really long
really long
really long
really long
really long
really long
really long
really long
really long
Riftland Trailer

Building a rig

4 posters

Go down

Building a rig Empty Building a rig

Post by MottaTheHutt Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 pm

This coming summer I have an internship set up, where I'll be making decent pay. While my current computer (a Dell 15R notebook) is functional for schoolwork and everything, I've decided that I'm going to spend a bit of each paycheck on various components, and eventually throw together my first rig. Since this is my first attempt at building a computer from scratch I'm pretty clueless, so I'm just starting this thread to list the parts I'm looking at, and any input would be appreciated. I suppose my goal would fall into the category of a gaming rig, and my target price at this point is around $1500 US.

So far what I've been looking at:

Case: NZXT H2 I'm pretty set on this. It seems like a good deal at roughly $100.

Motherboard: Asus P8P67

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k

That's all I have so far. I've only started looking at parts today.
MottaTheHutt
MottaTheHutt

Character Name : MottaTheHutt
Settlement : Konan

Back to top Go down

Building a rig Empty Re: Building a rig

Post by Elenrai Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:41 pm

MottaTheHutt wrote:This coming summer I have an internship set up, where I'll be making decent pay. While my current computer (a Dell 15R notebook) is functional for schoolwork and everything, I've decided that I'm going to spend a bit of each paycheck on various components, and eventually throw together my first rig. Since this is my first attempt at building a computer from scratch I'm pretty clueless, so I'm just starting this thread to list the parts I'm looking at, and any input would be appreciated. I suppose my goal would fall into the category of a gaming rig, and my target price at this point is around $1500 US.

So far what I've been looking at:

Case: NZXT H2 I'm pretty set on this. It seems like a good deal at roughly $100.

Motherboard: Asus P8P67

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k

That's all I have so far. I've only started looking at parts today.
Well, good for you that I am here! Very Happy
GPU(Graphics card):Nvidia GTX 570 (In SLI if you want some serious fuggin speed)
I realised you cant use SLI but quad CFX.
If you want serious speed you can build on, Radeon HD 7850 it is, its basically a shiny new 570 with more speed,it does not even use a lot of power, which means less heating, which means less needed cooling!
Elenrai
Elenrai

Character Name : Elenrai
Settlement : Somewhere dark!

https://riftland.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mapatti Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:46 am

You start building computer by choosing good Power Supply Unit (PSU). If that blows up, it will most likely take some other parts with it. You should go with GOLD 80 certificated PSU and if you pick good 1200W one, you probably wont need to upgrade/change it as long as it keeps kicking.

With motherboard (mb) you should choose one of the newest chipsets as they are often more and more powerful. If you are going with Intel you should choose Z77 or Z68 chipset as they have compatibly for new Ivy bridge processors (when ever they will be released). Also you should invest some money to cooler thingy if you are planning to go overclocking/silent system.

For RAM you should choose +1600MHz ones (more is better and expensive) as more it has frequency more it can do the memory operations per sec.

Choosing GPU is the trickiest part of PC building. You have to choose from AMD or Nvidia. There are some performance differences between these two but usually Nvidia is more expensive (and just bit better performance-wisely with games) but AMD is cheaper and bit more performing in some other applications (like bitcoin mining).

CPU isn't the most important part if you are going with gaming. Still you should pick one of the mid- to high-end ones to make it sure that CPU won't be bottleneck of your rig.

As HDD you should have one SSD and one ordinary HDD. You will install your OS and games to SSD for some performance boost on booting and loading, so I would recommend one with 128GB. The normal HDD will function as storage so it would be size of >1TB.

TLDR;
You wont go wrong with Newegg Combos

Mapatti

Character Name : Mapatti

Back to top Go down

Post by Elenrai Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 am

Mapatti wrote:You start building computer by choosing good Power Supply Unit (PSU). If that blows up, it will most likely take some other parts with it. You should go with GOLD 80 certificated PSU and if you pick good 1200W one, you probably wont need to upgrade/change it as long as it keeps kicking.

With motherboard (mb) you should choose one of the newest chipsets as they are often more and more powerful. If you are going with Intel you should choose Z77 or Z68 chipset as they have compatibly for new Ivy bridge processors (when ever they will be released). Also you should invest some money to cooler thingy if you are planning to go overclocking/silent system.

For RAM you should choose +1600MHz ones (more is better and expensive) as more it has frequency more it can do the memory operations per sec.

Choosing GPU is the trickiest part of PC building. You have to choose from AMD or Nvidia. There are some performance differences between these two but usually Nvidia is more expensive (and just bit better performance-wisely with games) but AMD is cheaper and bit more performing in some other applications (like bitcoin mining).

CPU isn't the most important part if you are going with gaming. Still you should pick one of the mid- to high-end ones to make it sure that CPU won't be bottleneck of your rig.

As HDD you should have one SSD and one ordinary HDD. You will install your OS and games to SSD for some performance boost on booting and loading, so I would recommend one with 128GB. The normal HDD will function as storage so it would be size of >1TB.

TLDR;
You wont go wrong with Newegg Combos
How about suggesting shiz within a budget?....dont just assume he is made of +1000$ :p
Elenrai
Elenrai

Back to top Go down

Post by Mapatti Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:21 am

Elenrai wrote:
How about suggesting shiz within a budget?....dont just assume he is made of +1000$ :p

Umm, I guess that I didn't something clearly.

MottaTheHutt wrote:I suppose my goal would fall into the category of a gaming rig, and my target price at this point is around $1500 US.

Mapatti

Character Name : Mapatti

Back to top Go down

Post by Elenrai Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:00 am

Mapatti wrote:

Umm, I guess that I didn't something clearly.

Owww O.o >o<
Elenrai
Elenrai

Back to top Go down

Post by DDSLoan96 Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:47 am

Yeah motta go with a Z77 Chipset Motherboard with the i5 3570K which is the ivy-bridge i5 unlocked processor. GPU really depends on your budget but by summer the prices should drop once 680 production ups. Reason for this they want to clear out older stock. 80+ certification is an absolute must on any rig. make sure you account for peripherals in your budget though (mice, Keyboard, screen, etc)
DDSLoan96
DDSLoan96

Character Name : DDSLoan96

https://www.facebook.com/DDSloan96

Back to top Go down

Post by MottaTheHutt Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's been really useful. I was reading a certain guide to building a PC based on your budget, but it's quite a few months outdated and your suggestions seem to be much, much better.

One thing I should have mentioned is that while I'm trying to make a gaming machine, my primary goal is to have a functioning computer by fall semester. Things like quality peripherals, and even a graphics card, aren't my biggest priority, as they can be easily purchased and added later.

I'm now looking at the P8Z77-V LX as you guys suggested the Z77 chipset. This definitely seems like the ticket, as it's only slightly more expensive than the board I was looking at, but appears to be much better.

The Radeon HD 7850 seems to be ideal. Multiple GPUs isn't something I'm looking to do right now, mainly due to being on a budget. Maybe next summer, eh?

As for the PSU I'll probably look at an upgrade from what I'm currently considering. While it would be nice to save a few bucks here and there I can see why saving money on the PSU might be unwise.

For RAM I was considering going with 4GB DDR3, at least for now. I can always add more later right?
MottaTheHutt
MottaTheHutt

Character Name : MottaTheHutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Elenrai Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 pm

MottaTheHutt wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone, it's been really useful. I was reading a certain guide to building a PC based on your budget, but it's quite a few months outdated and your suggestions seem to be much, much better.

One thing I should have mentioned is that while I'm trying to make a gaming machine, my primary goal is to have a functioning computer by fall semester. Things like quality peripherals, and even a graphics card, aren't my biggest priority, as they can be easily purchased and added later.

I'm now looking at the P8Z77-V LX as you guys suggested the Z77 chipset. This definitely seems like the ticket, as it's only slightly more expensive than the board I was looking at, but appears to be much better.

The Radeon HD 7850 seems to be ideal. Multiple GPUs isn't something I'm looking to do right now, mainly due to being on a budget. Maybe next summer, eh?

As for the PSU I'll probably look at an upgrade from what I'm currently considering. While it would be nice to save a few bucks here and there I can see why saving money on the PSU might be unwise.

For RAM I was considering going with 4GB DDR3, at least for now. I can always add more later right?

RAM is cheaper then dirt, just get 8GB and you´re set for a good while (I paid 47£ for Cool

With regards to the GPU, throw in a 800w PSU, if your not going multi GPU (and the new radeon cards dont use any power anyhow) your not gonna need 1200w, and mapatti should be hit with rocks for daring to suggest that (because im jealous of people with that kinda power draw) myself I "only" use 490w on full load with a 650w PSU, but do get one with a bit of pull (650w atleast) since its efficicency will decline as it ages, with regards to the graphics card you should really consider getting a Nvidia GT 210 if gaming isn´t important AT ALL, but since you got a fat budget you should strongly consider throwing in a decent GPU and a custom cooling, if you wanna scream in agony I suggest getting the coolermaster 212 cpu cooler, it fits on nearly all sockets, but it took me 4 hours to assemble (and I want to slit my wrists every time I think back at it) But if you wanna make yourself cry in agony the coolermaster is a cheap (I paid 21£) and VERY good non-stock cooler, it lowered my temps from 55 to 45 while running tribes, the stock cooler is likely a LOT easier to install but stock coolers got a horrid habit of doing two things, cool less then a cheaper custom installed cooler, AND make noises like a jet. I got headaces by using my stock cooler for 2 hours. >o<

Also, PSU wise, dont get the "gold" ones unless you actually throw in some serious hardware, by the looks of it you should just try the PSU in a old rig before connecting your brand new hardware to it.
Elenrai
Elenrai

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down